Christmas Hazards

With the Christmas season rapidly approaching, it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holidays and not pay any attention to what our pets at home are getting into. Alcoholic beverages, salt, chocolate, and mouldy or rotten foods are some of the top dangers our pets can digest.


There are other pitfalls for our pets this holiday season. Feeding fatty foods can cause potentially deadly inflammation of the pancreas; human foods can also cause diarrhea and vomiting. Cooked bones are also a hazard because of the risk of them breaking or splinter which can cause internal puncture. Do not leave chocolate hanging from the Christmas tree because it is highly toxic to animals. We all know little critters are very curious when it comes to new smells and it is tempting for them to get into it.

It’s not just food that is the culprit. Christmas ornamental plants such as mistletoe, poinsettias, holly, lilies, and Christmas trees can be dangerous too. Pets, especially cats, will try and climb up these holiday plants, so make sure they are properly anchored and fenced off. All the fallen tree needles can get stuck in the paws of animals and their throats if digested. Electrical cords and flashing tree lights need to be covered up so your animals can’t chew on them and get electrocuted.

For your own piece of mind, keep your vet’s poison control and animal emergency clinic phone numbers on your fridge for quick reference. For any questions or emergencies, Askey Animal Hospital in Burlington is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for your convenience.

0 0
Feed